Rural Health Training Centre, Najafgarh, New Delhi was set up as health unit in 1937 with the financial support and guidance of Rockefeller Foundation at Najafgarh to cover an area of about 162 sq. miles having a population of 44,000 scattered over 35 villages for rendering primary health care services through dispensary and team of Para-medical staff. After the adoption of Bhore Committee, the unit was upgraded to a Primary Health Centre, inaugurated by Hon’ble Health Minister Dr. Raj Kumari Amrit Kaur, on dated 06-03-1949.It was re-organized in 1954 to carry out to the functions of an Orientation Training Centre on regional basis to train the Rural Health Workers for shouldering greater responsibilities in the community development programs. The activities of the centre were further expanded with the addition of two more Primary Health Centres at Ujwa (1955) and Palam (1957). The centre was reorganized as Rural Health Training Centre, Najafgarh in 1960, under the administrative control of Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS), Govt. of India.
In 1961 a decision was taken at the level of Directorate General of Health Services, Govt. of India to declare PHC, Najafgarh as a centre for imparting community health training for Medical Interns of Lady Hardinge Medical College under Rural Orientation of Medical Education (ROME) Scheme.
In 1965, another health program of School Health was launched at Najafgarh. Subsequently other centrally sponsored schemes under National Health Programs like National Vector Borne Diseases Control Program, Revised National TB Control Programme, National Diabetes Control program (NDCP), National Program for Control of Blindness (NPCB) and so on were launched at Najafgarh.
In 1978, it was declared National Scientific Institute. In 1981 a Post Partum Unit under All India Hospital Post Partum Program was set up with the assistance of Family Welfare Department. To strengthen the Rural Health services, an ANM School was started in 1985for the course MPFW.ANM (10+2) vocational Course started in 1991recognised by CBSE and diploma in ANM started in 2012 recognised by Delhi Nursing Council.
The main Administrative Block situated at RHTC Najafgarh controls overall activities of all three PHCs & their Sub-Centre along with ANM School. Director RHTC Najafgarh holds the Administrative control under the able guidance of Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. A new Administrative building is almost ready to shift. The overall activities of PHCs managed by Medical Officer In-Charge under the Guidance of Director RHTC.
The population of the Najafgarh Block, situated on South West of Delhi, at present is approximately 1.05 million. The registered population with the Rural Health Training Centre, Najafgarh is approximately 500,000. Rural Health Training Centre, Najafgarh, PHCs of Najafgarh, Palam and Ujwa and 16 sub centres is spread over an area of 432.6 Sq. kms covering 73 villages.